New “One-day” Total Knee Replacement is Perfect Option for Many
There are many reasons why people of different ages need a total knee replacement (TKR): arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and posttraumatic injuries, to name a few. For the right candidate, CONA now offers TKR at an Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) — a facility where patients receive outpatient surgical procedures and are then discharged within 24 hours.
Benefits of Total Knee Replacement at an ASC
- Surgical care is administered in a highly-specialized and controlled environment;
- Patient satisfaction is increased by a closer relationship with a single nurse;
- Patients receive consistent information about the procedure;
- There is more family involvement and clearer instructions for managing postoperative pain and care;
- Since the patient has more individual control over his or her postoperative recover, satisfaction has been shown to increase.
According to a study cited on the web site by Richard A. Berger, MD, there are other benefits of outpatient joint replacement: decreased hospital stays, fewer complications and improved outcomes. Also in follow-ups of the patients monitored in the study, there were low rates of readmission.
While not everyone is a candidate for this type of outpatient knee surgery, CONA can evaluate your condition to determine the best surgical procedure for you. Call 864.582.6396 for a consultation.